The manner in which we live our life and do our jobs is evolving. To date technology has had an astonishing effect on the Field Operations Management (FOM) industry in particular for those field workers in Utilities and Facilities Management. Internet of Things technology is transforming field operations and redefining how day-to-day jobs are carried out.
Internet of Things (IoT) essentially involves expanding the capabilities of the internet much further than traditional computers and smartphones, to include many other sensors/devices covering an enormous range of processes and environments. These new IoT connected sensors/devices are then used to gather and send back information to mostly cloud-based software processes that may then decide to perform an action, such as sending an alert to a technician or automatically adjusting the processes, equipment or an environment without the need for any user input.
IoT provides many companies with a much greater understanding and control of objects, devices, equipment processes and environments beyond the reach of the traditional internet, and therefore, IoT makes it possible for those companies to be even more connected to the world around them and to do significantly more, higher value work driving key business metrics like productivity, efficiency, and asset utilisation. Once something is connected the potential to send and/or receive information makes things smart, and smart things deliver results and thus drive real business value. A key driver is to move from a reactive, break/fix model to a proactive, preventative service model driving key business metrics like productivity, efficiency, and asset utilisation.
GeoPal provides a fully customisable IoT enabled Field Operations Management (FOM) System that connects field workers, remote assets and internet of things sensors, leveraging field data to immediately gain actionable insights and increase the productivity, profitability and health and safety compliance of your business.
The GeoPal Field Operations Management (FOM) Platform is focused on complex and dynamic utility field operations where traditional Field Service Solutions lack the flexibility and bespoke App Development is too costly and carries additional time, cost and specification risks. GeoPal addresses issues like:
- Inefficient paper processes
- Poor Management Data
- Low fieldworker Utilisation
- Health & Safety Compliance
- Proof of Delivery Issues
- Long Invoicing Cycle
Field Operations Management is one of the industries that is being transformed by IoT.
IoT technology deployments will result in digital transformation that delivers the following benefits:
- 10% increase Field worker real-time utilization rates
- 50% Reduction in Office administration costs by eliminating re-entry of field data.
- 19% Increase in asset availability
- 60% Reduction in Mean Time To Repair (MTTR)
- 100% real-time Management / Data insights on GeoPal dashboards
An example of simple yet powerful IoT use case:
Sensors on remote equipment can send real time status updates from the field over a dedicated IoT NB network or via a 3G, 4G or 5G mobile operator network. If the sensor indicates that the equipment is going out of tolerance the GeoPal IoT Platform can interpret this update and intelligently decide on the correct course of action based on predefined rules. For example, a technician can then be automatically assigned and dispatched via the GeoPal App and can attend to the equipment before it goes out of service and even before the customer becomes aware of an issue. All this is done automatically and without the use of any paper. This allows Field Operations companies to move from a reactive, break/fix model to a proactive, preventative service model driving key business metrics like productivity, efficiency, and asset utilisation.
There are many other examples of this simple use case, for example here are a few:
- Alarms from IoT sensors on traffic junctions can be routed to the GeoPal platform. Urgent faults automatically trigger service jobs which are intelligently dispatched to the Field Service Engineer closest to the traffic junction with the correct skill set.
- Biometric clock-in IoT sensors for proof of attendance and for managing the productivity levels of resources working on key infrastructure projects.
- IoT door sensors on doors that can trigger a “look-up” to determine if access permission has been granted for that time.
- IoT water sensors to measure pH level, temperature, dissolved oxygen and conductivity which allows the detection of pollution in rivers.
- Sensors on any remote asset, such as an air conditioning unit, can send real time status updates from the field. When a sensor indicates that an asset is going out of tolerance, a technician is notified and can attend to it before it goes out of service and before the customer becomes aware of an issue.
GeoPal is a fully IoT enabled Platform that has delivered use cases like above for over four years. The GeoPal IoT Platform coupled with more internet-connected IoT technology will increase the productivity and efficiency of your field teams and also the asset utilisation overall driving digital transformation.
If you would like to discuss how GeoPal’s IoT offering can improve your business and provide valuable data between your team and office. Get in touch with our experts here or watch our video testimonial from one of our IoT customers Traffic Solutions Ltd.
GeoPal helps its clients achieve operational excellence using the management insights we deliver through our mobile data capture and analytics solution. GeoPal is a customisable Field Operations Management (FOM) Platform Solution that connects field workers, remote assets and Internet Of Things (IOT) sensors, leveraging field data to gain real-time actionable insights and increase the productivity, profitability and health and safety compliance of your business. GeoPal’s client list includes some of the largest Industrial Services, Utility Services, City Management, Environmental and Facilities Management companies in the world. The GeoPal solution delivers transformative operational efficiencies through the data insights we provide.